Further sites in Bad Nauheim

Kurtheater (spa theatre)

Jugendstil Theatre

The “Kurhaus” (spa house) was the social hub, built between 1864 and 1866 in the Italian neo-Renaissance style. The constantly increasing number of visitors made it necessary to extend the spa area. The concert hall with the concert garden and a spacious terrace area with a music temple became the meeting place of high society at a time when the spa was still considered a social highlight. The decor in today's theatre, rebuilt according to old models after a fire in 1980, is reminiscent of the late art nouveau style.>

Town library

City Library

The former inhalation room - today's town library - was the first building to be erected by Jost in 1901/02 in Bad Nauheim. Hessian half-timbered architecture with ornamental details point towards historicism and the beginning of art nouveau. The hall in the reception area represents a synthesis of medieval craftsmanship and modernity. Stylistic elements of the early art nouveau can be found in the ornamental details of the stained glass and door fittings. The rich colour of the floral motifs in the glowing windows creates an atmosphere of enchantment in the room.

The library is now also accessible to spa guests in the so-called "House of the Guest" (Haus des Gastes).

Residential buildings

Private Homes in Bad Nauheim

Hotel buildings, spa guest-houses and residential buildings that were built in the so-called "Darmstadt style" made the late art nouveau native to Bad Nauheim around 1900. The independent style was aimed at providing a regional identity, adapting to the environment, and pleasing the guests. Decorative and artistic elements such as stained glass windows, doors with sweeping curved handles, intricate and geometric balcony and stair railings, small mosaics, male masks, and elegiac-looking girls faces convey the art nouveau sense of form and the charm of that era.

Heating plant

Heating Plant

From 1906 to 1907, a plant nursery was created on the edge of the spa in a "homelike construction" style, consisting of a group of snug buildings of simple beauty. In the other direction - "Am Goldstein" - Jost built the machine centre between 1905-1911 with a district heating plant, power plant and ice factory, a steam laundry and the new buildings for the saline plants. The chimney of the district heating plant was deliberately integrated into the fountain courtyard / railway station line of sight as a symbol of ground-breaking, modern technology.

Railway station

Train Station

The railway station, built in 1912, also belongs to the art nouveau era, even though its structure and decoration correspond to baroque shapes. Cute cherubs, Hermes head, and the framing ornaments of the clock in the tympanum are all indicators of this style. The bust of Hygeia, the goddess of health, represented with salvific snakes clearly points to art nouveau. Ceramic wall coverings and coloured windows shape the image of the main hall.

Beneke fountain

Beneke Fountain

This memorial honours a physician who served as the first doctor in Bad Nauheim from 1857 until 1882, Prof. Dr. Friedrich Wilhelm Beneke. His research laid the foundation for the later world renown of the spa and therapeutic centre for cardiac diseases. The kneeling female figure can be interpreted as Hygeia, the goddess of health, or a nymph of the spring. Marine creatures symbolise water as a salvific source, dancing cherubs idealize youth and health.